Saturday, February 28, 2009

(Un)Married with Children

Ah, life with kids. It's fun. I love those poopers, but also sometimes I want to shout, "Why, why are you doing that?!" They're 3. They have no idea why they're doing most things. It's definitely a learning experience.

In other news, Kendall and I are starting to feel somewhat of an affinity toward our spider friends. (Note: Only spiders that do not move and are in public places, such as the living room, are acceptable companions). They keep the mosquitoes away (supposedly).

This week, Isaak has been a snotty kid. He is really cute about it though, because he actually lets you wipe his nose, and tells you when he needs a tissue. Sometimes, he even wipes his nose himself. What a genius. Also, we planned a beach day yesterday. True, yesterday was Friday. BUT, it was DOMINICAN INDEPENDENCE DAY! Apparently, the Dominicans gained Independence from Haiti in 1844 on el 27 de febrero. Fortunately it didn't take them 2 days longer, or else they would only be able to celebrate every four years...

Good news about Feb 27: holiday! Bad news: Our water pump broke. Juan Carlos can't work on holiday weekend! My last shower was Wednesday I think. Kendall and I should probably enter into a greasy hair contest. We have gotten a little bit of water with the fancy "hold a bucket with a rake and dip it into the cistern" trick that Anne taught us. Needless to say, we have working porta potties here in the house.

Yesterday, we planned a Cabarete beach day! Ashley, Kendall, and I took the kids on the 45-minute guagua ride to the beach. Picture a 12-seater van (guagua). I believe the seats are designed for 3 grown adults to sit in the last row. Normally, Dominicans put 4. Yesterday, there were 4 adults and 5 children in that last row. Fun ride, I tell ya! The concept of personal space is very different here. We get there, and everything is fine, except that Isaak is feeling warm... Really warm. To add to that, he started just laying on a beach chair staring into space instead of being the wild man he usually is. Around nap time, I went and got some baby Tylenol for him. I gave him some around lunchtime, and again when we got home that evening. I found the thermometer, and the poor kid was at 102. He laid around on a cool pack for a while while I frantically updated his mama. I also caught him sucking on that cool pack. The kid loves ice. What a goon. Anyway, the scare is over. By bedtime, his fever was down to 99, but that was my first sickie kid experience (besides this whole snot week). Blessedly, we have yet to have any pukers at home. We are probably going to hit up the doctor, too. Sick kids are so pitiful...

So, today, we are just hanging out and listening for the "Aguacate!" lady to come around. Our weekends are jam-packed. Before I go, I will tell you about a random awesome thing that happened ten minutes ago. Kendall and I both pressed play for the same song on Itunes at the exact same time. When it started playing on my computer, she was confused, because she had just started the same one! Weird. Beyonce's "Halo." Look it up. It's a jam.

I hope everyone is doing great, keep the kiddos' health in your prayers. We want healthy tweems! Also, please keep in mind that we are so aware that our random water problems are nothing compared to most of the families we work with. Our preschoolers live in villages where running water doesn't exist. We are greatly blessed at the Makarios house.

No comments: