Friday, February 13, 2009

Fracaso.

Today, I had a fun little experience learning the Spanish language. I would say that I am doing... meh, alright, with communication. A little moment in class today proved that I should not be getting too complacent about any possible Spanish skillz.

Mira this little scenario:

On Fridays, we have our bible classes with older students. They come to school, eat a snack, learn a bible lesson, and do some fun activity. Today, while the kids were their boiled eggs (with bread and a vitamin), I found myself alone in the classroom of kids. No problema, until one of the kids looked at me and said something I didn't understand plus "sal." I told her "No entiendo," which caused other kids to try and help me understand by just looking at me and saying "Sal. Sal. Sal."(in increasing volume).

"Sal" is the command form of the verb salir, which means: to go/get out. I thought the kids were being really rude and asking me to leave! Those poopers! Little did I know, the chilluns were just asking for "sal" as in salt. Of course they wanted salt with their eggs. Dang that listening in context!

I'm pretty glad Ashley came and rescued me from further confusion.

No comments: