Sunday, February 15, 2009

A mezcla, if you will.

Junkyard dogs. These are the littlest pups that hang around the escuela. That nasty, mangey one is NOT part of the normal group. Not pictured are: Eh-Scooby Du and some other black nameless dog. Here in the middle is Eh-shadow and on the right is the tiny, frail pup I like to call Cricket. (Cricket may survive-- the other dogs let her eat a good portion of our random leftover food).

This is just a lovely shot of one of our rainy days. I just like this picture because you can see the random lady on her roof with an umbrella doing... who knows what.

Just a little Valentine I made during Ashley's art class :)

This is Isabela, the mountain we hiked today. I agreed to go, because I wanted to see it so badly, but I was really fearful of dragging everyone down. My roommates and Anne are in much better shape than I am, but I decided to give it a go. Needless to say, I wanted to quit-- badly. I even told the others I was just going to walk back down, so they should keep going (approximately 15 minutes from the top). They forced me to finish, for which I am very grateful. We took a little gondola ride down. For more info on that, see Kendall's blog. She actually took pictures. I was just trying to survive.

Ashley took Kendall and me to visit Luis Fernando's house. He lives with a lady and I think 5 other kids in this place. His mom is out of the picture, because she left, so this is his new family. This is one of two rooms in the house. (I will put a few more pictures up on a web album when I get the chance). The other kids: Islan, Yulena, and Agle were quick to offer us the only 3 chairs in the house, and so we sat. We hung out while they watched tv, showed us their homework, and drew pictures. Islan and Yulena played with my hair. Luis showed us some marbles he stored in the freezer... Yea, I'm pretty sure the freezer didn't work. Anyway, it's really humbling to see families who have next to nothing, and are quick to offer you their hospitality. God has really been using the people here to show me how I need to get over my sinful pride and learn how to really love people.

Valentines Day.
I had a fabulous Valentine's Day. It only could have been better had my Valentine been in this country. Ashley and the other staff attended the wedding of a dear friend, so Kendall and I planned a day at the beach. Garrett and Anne were wonderful enough to offer us a ride to the the beach in Sosua that they recommended to us. The beach was great! It was small and had a beautiful view, and our chairs were maybe 6 feet away from the water. Note to visitors: it costs 10 pesos to use the bathroom... We also hit up the Mexican restaurant in Sosua, where we had some really good chicken fajitas. Continuing in this theme, we returned home to whip up some guacamole and queso! Ashley, Garrett, and Anne came by after the wedding to meet us. Ashley whipped up some lovely beverages. I forgot to tell the guacamole miracle. There were no aguacates at the grocery store on Friday, so we were left to pray and hope for the "Aguacate aguacate!" lady to come through the neighborhood with the big bowl on her head. On Saturday morning, I heard her coming down the street to our house! It was meant to me. Also, I forgot to mention that this was my first time ever to make queso without a microwave. It worked out. Cleaning the pan was a bit nasty, but everyone survived.

I have no idea if this entry was even coherent, but it's all I've got right now! I love you all. Now you keep loving other people. I mean, try and love people unconditionally. Also, please pray me through that, and I will try and do the same for you.

No comments: