Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Back in the USSR

So, Semana Santa en los Estados Unidos was wonderful. I got to eat my body weight in tex-mex and steak, see the Astros beat the Cubs (because they did in the game I went to), and spend some time with some people I love. It was just lovely.

Kendall and I reunited in the Miami airport before our flight back to Puerto Plata. Just so everyone knows, I was able to have a Starbucks frap in Houston before I left. I managed to refrain from getting one last fix in Miami, though...

Our first night back...
Kendall and I arrived home to a puppy that is hanging out at the house for a little while. He has stayed out in the yard, and our good friend was feeding him until we got here. He is a cute little guy, but he managed to eat everything that was outside during his time alone at the house. Luckily, Odilsia (our friend) was able to store our shoes inside for safe keeping. Whew! We pretty much just stood in the yard staring for a minute before going inside.

So the house was...quiet. I mean quiet as in Dominican-style, where there are still outside noises like neighbors, dogs, and roosters, but ZERO happening in the Mak house. Kendall and I are used to there being anywhere from 3 to 35 people there! Our dear roommate Ashley moved into a bigger apartamento in Monte Llano (near the school) with Robin and Cara. I am so excited for them! The place is super-cute, and Kendall will be moving there as well in the fall when she comes back to work for Makarios for another YEAR! Robin, Cara, Ashley, and Kendall are all staying for the upcoming year. It might be hard to be the only one leaving and wondering how things are going here.

Kendall and I immediately parked it in our designated spots at the kitchen table. These spots are pretty much etched in stone, so interns, watch out! (mentira). We wandered the internets for a while, then had our fallback dinner-- pizza mediana con solamente queso from San Jorge Pizzeria. I say fallback, but we generally eat here about once a week. They deliver, and it only takes 25 minutes! Also, we are gluttons, apparently. (Not really, but we sometimes feel that way).

We also came home to a very clean house, free of all perishable grocery items. Our lovely former roommate, Ashley, made sure we wouldn't come home to any spoiled goods. What a gem. Anyway, today after school, we made our first trip to the grocery store alone! dun dun DUUUUN! Everything went well. We went to the fancy new Dominican Walmart se llama La Sirena. It's pretty much completely American except that we walked out and hitched a moto home afterwards, bags in hand (sorry mom!). I'm starting to get a little less anxious on motos, but they are still not my favorite ride.

Our guagua rides were pretty funny today. We had a pretty typical ride to school, with around 20 people in the van, but on the way home we caught an almost-empty one. Gloria! The man sitting in the row in front of us had a cage filled with 2 parrots. Hello random. I guess I was expecting chickens, or maybe a potbellied pig, but no, they were parrots. Sometimes they have those at touristy places to take overpriced pictures with the gringos.

Anyway, we are getting back into the swing of things, and all is well. We are waiting for Anne and Garrett to come back from the states in a couple of weeks, though!

I will try and post a few pictures next time, but now I'm too lazy for that. I'm pretty sure I have one of the finished product of Isaak's braids!

I guess I shouldn't forget to mention that Easter was great. Dave and I went to the Good Friday service con mis padres, and the Easter service at our church. Both were great reminders of Christ's sacrifice for us.

15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. 17He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

21Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. 22But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— 23if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.

In everything, he has the supremacy-- that is an awesome lesson that I am still learning. The things that I spend time worrying over? They don't matter. Christ reigns supreme. He holds all things together! I can't think of someone else who could do it better.

Besos.

No comments: