Thursday, November 20, 2008

Onward and Upward



In an attempt to make this blog not end with one single entry, I am back. This year is absolutely flying by! Next week is Thanksgiving, as well as my dear old Papa's birthday. Half a century old! That Jon Kemp is such a gem. If I become technologically savvy enough, I can post some holiday/birthday pictures up here soon. I have started to receive support for my trip! It is really reminding me that I am going to be completely taken care of with this temporary move to the Dominican Republic. I am starting to think about things like what to pack! I am somewhat known as a light packer, so hopefully that holds true in this new era of paying for every bag checked onto a plane. While I am in the DR, I have a few main responsibilities:

Primarily, I will take care of these two studs-- Jakob and Isaak (above). The director of Makarios, Sharla, is adopting them, and I will basically be their nanny about 3 days per week.
I will help out at the Makarios school, started and run by the staff there. I have zero teaching experience, so that should be a fun time to learn! I will also help out with short-term mission groups that come in to work at Makarios. I have no idea what the main responsibilities will be with this part, but I am excited to see a lot of different faces coming through.

Hopefully, I will be diligent with updates, especially while I am out of town-- I want people to see where I am and what I'm doing! I also want to encourage you to visit the Makarios website and blog to see what is going on from day to day in the DR. The blog is now on the main page of their shiny new website.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. I am sooo excited for you!! My heart is warmed and JOYful that this onward and upward move is happening. LOVE u. see u at christmas before we both leave again?